Design and build an automatic, High Mix, Made-to-Order (MTO) production line for contact lens blister sortation, fulfillment, labeling and cartoning with fail-safe validation.
Unlimited number of random SKU’s in single or 3 packs as well as Made to Stock (MTS) triple blisters from other production lines.
A custom designed system leveraging standard inspection, labeling and packaging modules to conserve cost and accelerate time to market. The innovation that led to success is the random retrieval Sortation Matrix.
- Random blisters are automatically fed from previous autoclave process
- Sort/collate the blisters to the Sortation Matrix or directly to packaging
- The SM has 1300 storage locations each holding 6 blisters for a total of 7,800
- Blisters are removed automatically from the Sortation Matrix based on MTO directions from the Factory Information System (FIS)
- On-demand auto-retrieval of blisters from the SM to fill orders
- Blister is placed to a distinct location on the labelling conveyor
- Blister is labelled / vision inspected; good part or reject decision is made
- Based on the next in line order, the ‘High Mix’ cartoning system will:
- Erect the correct size carton for this customer order
- Laser etch carton
- Vision inspect the mark
- Load blisters to the carton based on the order (MTO)
- Output packaged sizes – 3 pack, 6 pack, Diagnostic/Trial singles
- Vision verify packaging
- Insert leaflet, close and seal
The MTO manufacturing line runs at 2000 blisters / hr and was designed in accordance with FDA requirements and EC Medical Device Directives. The output of this system is fulfilled and validated orders and another happy PMD client.