Design and build an automated fiber manipulation and connectorization machine to increase throughput and reduce headcount. This must be accomplished in an extremely small footprint to maximize the value of cleanroom space.
Bulk filament material of multiple compositions, sizes, and lengths and fourteen (14) different connector SKU’s.
A custom-designed and technology-packed machine that through brainstormed optimization techniques meets all client criteria including variable-length fibers in a 4’ x 6’ platform.
- Payout out fiber length and wrap-around tool
- Ultrasonically weld and trim excess material
- Strength pull-Test
- Vision acquisition – robotically pick random connectors from a Flex Feeder
- Place the connector into a crimping jaw.
- Transfer the filament and apply vision to align with connector
- Insert the filament into the connector
- Mechanically crimp
- Pull-Test crimp force
- Deposit finished product into appropriate bin (Good, Reject or Quality Inspection)
These machines exceeded the contracted throughput. The machines include technology such as linear motor slides, scara robots, force and tension transducers, an Ultrasonic Welder, and a flex feeder. The program has met the client’s expansion and labor reduction goals while being delivered on time.